Dirty Martini is a high quality, sophisticated cocktail bar which has seven venues in London. In 2016, it announced plans to open its first bar outside of London in Cardiff. jamjar was appointed to launch the bar in Cardiff and create a buzz about the opening.
What we did
In order to get a real understanding of the brand’s ethos and cocktail offering, we fully immersed ourselves in the world of Dirty Martini – a tough job involving lots of cocktail sipping!
Given the demographic of Dirty Martini’s target audience, we focused our efforts on the digital platforms of the local media, as well as engaging local bloggers and influencers.
In order to build a buzz up to and post launch, we drip fed out nine news stories to the media detailing everything from details of the new venue, to its Christmas party offering.
Three Welsh cocktails were developed utilising local distilleries, we delivered press kits to media and influencers which included branded cocktail shakers, the recipe and all the ingredients for the Red Dragon cocktail.
We held a Christmas cocktail masterclass for media/bloggers and invited them in to review ‘The Saintly Six’ – six low calorie and vegan cocktails for January/Veganuary.
We offered local influencer ‘I Loves the Diff’ the opportunity to run an exclusive competition via his social channels to win a pair of tickets to the VIP launch event.
To help drive data capture, we partnered with Wales Online, to run:
- An online piece – “How to get a FREE Martini when Dirty Martini opens in Cardiff” – driving people to Dirty Martini’s website to sign up
- A competition to win a £250 bar tab – capturing crucial data for future marketing
- An exclusive preview of the venue before it launched to the public, featuring a 360° film of the venue
We developed strategic partnerships with:
- Cardiff Fashion Week, which was a perfect fit to reach our target audience of stylish, 20-something females
- Local tourism body, Visit Cardiff, who ran a competition for visitors to Cardiff.
We invited the great and good of Cardiff – including media, bloggers, socialites, local businesses, sport stars, TV presenters – to a launch party the night before the bar launched to the public. Guests enjoyed complimentary martinis and canapes, and performances from a live sax player and DJ. A bespoke Snapchat filter was created for the event and hashtag #DirtyintheDiff.
Social media was the main channel used to create engagement and a buzz in the lead up to the launch using #DirtyintheDiff. A content plan was developed using the following content themes:
- It’s all in the mix – To unveil the menu’s new cocktails at key times of people ‘needing a drink’.
- #FOMO – Exclusive sneak peaks, UGC and hype from excited fans.
- One for the news feed –From memes and quotes, to key dates, topical content and celebrations coinciding to what was going on in Cardiff.
- Win – Used to generate reach and new fans.
What we achieved
- 57 pieces of online/broadcast/print coverage – OTS 16,096,461
- Exclusive preview with WalesOnline http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/dirty-martini-cardiff-first-look-12091290 – 6109 shares
- WalesOnline 360° venue film – 1.2k reactions, 210 shares, 377 comments on WalesOnline Facebook page
- I Loves the Diff competition – 33,094 impressions, 780 entries
- WalesOnline competition – 2,139 entries
- 630 guests attended the launch event
- Social media following of nearly 10K
- Website page views; 35,724
- Database subscribers: 7,928
What this meant for our client
During its first six months, Dirty Martini exceeded budgeted sales by 10.2% and generated over 12,000 prebooked covers.