PedalCover was launched to fill a real gap in the market for a bespoke insurance product specifically for triathletes and cyclists. jamjar was tasked with raising awareness of PedalCover amongst triathletes and cyclists and driving traffic to its website, where online quotes can be requested.
What we did
Market research identified that cyclists and triathletes are extremely passionate about their sport. They spend thousands of pounds on their bikes, kit and training, yet they don’t invest in adequate insurance to protect it all. It also uncovered that these people like feeling part of a community – whether that’s through their local bike café or club.
Our strategy encouraged triathletes and cyclists to ensure their ‘passion is protected’. We utilised influencers within the sport to help us spread the message and as one of PedalCover’s strongest USPs is that all staff are cyclists themselves, we utilised their cycling know-how to give Pedalcover an authentic role within the community.
Ambassadors – using PedalCover’s sponsorship of Vicky Holland, GB triathlete, we accessed the athlete’s social media followers, in addition to advice and interviews for our content strategy.
Sponsorship of the inaugural Velothon Wales sportive, which had 15,000 riders. This gave access to a solus ebulletin to participants, inclusion in monthly ebulletins and access to social media channels.
Online – display ads on websites including www.bikeradar.com; www.cyclingweekly.co.uk and www.walesonline.co.uk; pay per click search ads and social advertising to drive traffic to Pedalcover’s website.
SEO – Keyword research highlighted several terms to focus our efforts on and onsite and offsite tactics were employed to boast searchability.
Brand advocacy programme leveraging pre-existing fans and influencers to increase brand awareness, develop strong customer loyalties and facilitate valuable customer feedback loops. In return for social media mentions, fans got access to exclusive training advice and promotional merchandise.
Content marketing – We developed a content plan which included informative advice pieces from PedalCover’s team of cyclists, exclusive interviews with our athletes and spotlights on clients with the aim of driving traffic to Pedalcover’s website.
Social media – Our social media strategy tied into our content marketing plan driving traffic to PedalCover’s website.
Email bulletins – monthly eshots were sent to our growing database giving the latest news and offers.
What we achieved
- 24 blogs posted to PedalCover’s website with Google analytics statistics showing 93,281 page views; 20,398 users
- 7 videos created with 3,354 views
- Event sponsorship-access to 62,500 participants, associated activity resulted in 2,500 direct clicks to Pedalcover website
- 3 sponsored athletes, 379,900 reach on social media (unquantified media exposure through kit branding)
- 12 ebulletins – (43.4% open rate, 3.5% click through rate, compared to industry average of 20.75% open rate, 2.1% click through rate)
- Social media – 8,058 interactions, 3,571 fans gained (71% men aged 25-34 – in line with target demographic), 993,667 impressions
- Promotional video reached 35,124 people on Facebook
- SEO – triathlon insurance initially ranked 48 now 4; home and bike insurance initially ranked 83 now ranked 2
What this meant for our client
In its first year, PedalCover attracted over 1,000 clients exceeding its expectations and forecasting targets.